This patented, ergonomic pencil grip was designed and tested by pediatric occupational therapists specializing in handwriting. The Grotto Grip immediately decreases hand fatigue & pencil pressure and, with consistent use, increases writing endurance & pencil control while actually training the hand muscles to hold a writing utensil properly. The grotto grip is ideal for use for children with Autism and other special needs.
Grotto Grip®…. Not just a comfort grip, but a powerful training tool:
- finger guards and special angles place & hold the fingers into a mature tripod grasp by providing constant tactile feedback
- maintains arches in the palm of the hand facilitating dynamic finger movements
- facilitates an open web space between thumb and index finger
- Prevents hyper-mobility at the joints of the index finger and thumb
- OT recommended firmness for optimal joint stability and muscle action
With consistent use, the Grotto Grip® trains the hand to form a proper grasp. Other leading ergonomic pencil grips may feel comfortable but they support the hand at the finger joints encouraging whole arm and hand movements; actually encouraging a static grasp pattern rather than the use of dynamic finger movements. Dynamic finger movements lead to more precision and increased writing speed. The Grotto Grip® actually activates the muscles in the palm of your hand to allow for dynamic finger movements.
Grotto Grip® was designed with optimal firmness as recommended by occupational therapists to provide sufficient feedback to the fingers to maintain a proper grasp while writing. Grips that are too soft, lack finger guards or place fingers too far from the pencil point may reinforce improper grasp habits. The Grotto Grips® unique design places the hand and fingers in a position which shifts the support to the palm of the hand and facilitates the user to hold the wrist in an extended position; the proper way to hold a writing utensil.